Sep 18, 2010

Field Trip to Pompeii


 Last weekend I visited Pompeii, Sorrento and the Island of Capri with LDM (Lorenzo de Medici) We loaded the bus bright and early at 5:30am on Saturday and took off for Pompeii closer to 5:45am. Cruising along the highway we passed a few gas stations, which I hadn't even notice existed before then. Once we were out of the city, the first few minutes of the drive sort of made me feel like I was back in the states, but then we'd pass a goofy looking semi truck and id remember where I was.
After an uncomfortable few hours of sleeping upright on the bus, we stopped at our first rest stop. Rest stops in Italy are called AutoGrills and take my word for it, THEY ARE A NIGHTMARE! I'll explain more about Italian rest stops in another Blog entitled Auto"hell". If your interested in the full story just read that, it's a good story especially if you ever plan to travel around Europe in your life time!
So aside from the ridiculous rest stops the field trip was great!


Saturday we visited the ancient city of Pompeii. It was a surreal and fascinating experience to see the devastation Vesuvius caused so many years ago.

That afternoon we drove to our little hotel in Sorrento called Hotel Michelangelo and the evening consisted of complementary dinner, cheap table wine, tasting the famous Lemonchello (lemon liquor, NASTY stuff!!) and watching fireworks by the shore with a small group of girls. 
 Sunday morning we loaded the ferry for Capri Island (case number two, feeling like herded cattle!). Looking back at Sorrento from the boat was cool to see, but hard to capture in a picture.
We arrived at the blue cave expecting to wait just a few minuets in line. We waited over an hour for our turn and honestly, I didn’t mind it one bit! I was relaxing on a boat, in the beautiful blue waters of the Mediterranean, soaking up the warm sun, while most everyone else one the boat was either; impatient, seasick or hungover from the night before! The main reason we had to wait so long for our turn was again some impatient Italian who cut us in line. We couldn’t understand what he was yelling but we were certain that he was extremely, impatient and rude. Lol Our boat captain blared a siren over the loud speaker impatiently to get someone’s attention and the first rowboat finally pulled up alongside our boat. In groups of three we disappeared into the Grotta Azzurra (Blue Cave) only after coughing up another 11.50 euro for the entrance fee that is. 
To get in to the 60meter-long, 25 meter-wide cavity, you had to be taken in one of the small rowboats by an experienced rower. The opening is so narrow, that you have to lie on the bottom of the boat when you enter and if the waters are to ruff they will close down the entrance of the cave all together. We got lucky and were the last group aloud inside that morning. Jumping out of the little rowboat to swim inside the cave was an extra tip of 5 euro or so depending on how much you had in your wallet. After hearing about the jellyfish my friends swam with earlier I kept my 5 Euros and decided not to risk it! 
The cliffs of Capri towering into the sky were breathtaking and I didn’t think water could get any clearer or more blue then in Hawaii, but I was wrong! I was fascinated by the house on the highest and farthest peak of the cliff that has to be one of the most valuable properties in the world.
 look closely at the picture, above the sea cave entrance you'll see a house!
We passed under the arch of love to hug or kiss our friends + loved ones as tradition calls
Capri was a beautiful little town but a very expensive one!
I rod the cable car to Ana Capri and paid way too much for some ravioli and bread at a fancy pansy restaurant. Then I found the famous geltaoria Lucca recommended and treated myself to some chocolate gelato on a cone. Mmm that stuff NEVER gets old! After dessert we stopped in the little shoemaker store and a few people bought custom hand made sandals! I took a little nap on the stone beach before meeting Lucca at the boat to leave, and then it was back on the ferry to meet the bus in Sorrento.
All in all it was a great weekend and I am glad I got to experience Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri. Who knows were will my next adventure take me!

No comments:

Post a Comment